weight loss weblog

Thursday, May 04, 2006

What do you make time for?

Wednesday night I went and visited a different church here in town. Before the service I was talking to an older man about some books that we enjoy. I personally LOVE books like Gail Riplingers , New Age Bible Versions and books by Jack Chick & Sam Gipp. I also have other favorites like Two Babylons and Let's Weigh the Evidence. I am not much of a fiction reader so I have never really gotten into many "novels". My interests have always been what I call "smart" books. A few years ago I gave up all reading of any books other than the Bible. I every once in a while will read a book or two on the home or marriage or child raising..but MOSTLY I stick with my Bible reading. My reasons?? I found I was zipping through a book in like a day or 2 and BARELY reading my Bible. Although for a time my fast on all Books seemed to spur me into more Bible time. I must shamefully admit that my Bible Reading has really lacked. I have been trying this year to read my Bible every day..have I failed..yes..already..but instead of letting that keep me from doing right..I keep at it. The sad thing is..my failure of reading my Bible consistently isn't because I don't have time..Because during the course of my day I seem to make time for lots of essentials and NON essentials. Like, I always have time to check my email, blog now and then, read some of my message boards I am on. Watch a movie or two, brush my teeth, eat, sleep, take a shower..I could go on and on. The thing I notice is, those things get done because I deem them important and I make time for them. So what does that mean when I don't read my Bible consistently? Sadly , it means it's NOT important..but IT SHOULD BE!

You know I check my email quite often through out the day..so I don't MISS any thing! What am I missing out daily when I don't read my Bible? I can remember a time, years ago after I rededicated my life to the Lord, I was on fire for the things of God. I was sooo thirsty for his word that somedays I would spend HOURS AND HOURS during nap times reading the Word of God. I just couldn't get enough, sometimes I just couldn't put my Bible down. HOW I long for that again! SHAMEFULLY I don't do that.

One thing I think about is..my time is sooo short on this earth..when you think of eternity and how long that is..my little blip here on earth is NOTHING. Shouldn't I be preparing for my time in Heaven (which will be far longer) rather than wasting my time on things that don't matter here on earth?

So what are you making time for?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jamie.... You just opened my eyes... AGAIN LOL!!!!! That was an awesome read thanks..

May 05, 2006 2:55 AM  
Blogger Tami said...

Jamie ~~ that was a much needed blog. They say confession is good for the soul....well, it is also good for the soul of your friends who may be going through that same struggle.

I know personally I have struggled with this for a while and over the last couple of months am finally starting to feel that fire for studying the Word of God like I used to. It's not as hot as it used to be - but I figure as long as I keep adding fuel to the little fire that it is bound to get hotter!! Love Ya!!!

May 05, 2006 1:41 PM  
Blogger abrightnewdawn said...

LEMON BARS!
No, really. Just kidding. Good post. Very convicting, as I'm working on the same thing, myself. As we probably all always are. Even the person I look to as like "WOW they are SO in to the Word ALL the time" still always talks about needing to be in his Bible more. It astounds me.
Always praying....

May 05, 2006 11:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are so right. We make time for things that we find important. Just ask someone who is into a weekly tv show, or someone really into physical fitness. They may have no time, yet they make it to the gym somehow. We need to refocus and remember what is TRULY important and then act accordingly. I have been guilty of this at times....

May 06, 2006 6:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home